Rural Development has announced $5,967,000 in Fiscal Year (FY) 2014 funding for competitive grant funds for the Rural Community Development Initiative (RCDI) program.. Applicants must provide matching funds in an amount at least equal to the Federal grant. These grants will be made to qualified intermediary organizations that will provide financial and technical assistance to recipients to develop their capacity and ability to undertake projects related to housing, community facilities, or community and economic development that will support the community.
Fund uses must be consistent with the RCDI purpose. A nonexclusive list of eligible grant uses includes the following:
1. Provide technical assistance to develop recipients’ capacity and ability to undertake projects related to housing, community facilities, or community and
economic development, e.g., the intermediary hires a staff person to provide technical assistance to the recipient or the recipient hires a staff
person, under the supervision of the intermediary, to carry out the technical assistance provided by the intermediary.
2. Develop the capacity of recipients to conduct community development programs, e.g., homeownership education or training for business entrepreneurs.
3. Develop the capacity of recipients to conduct development initiatives, e.g., programs that support micro-enterprise and sustainable development.
4. Develop the capacity of recipients to increase their leveraging ability and access to alternative funding sources by providing training and staffing.
5. Develop the capacity of recipients to provide the technical assistance component for essential community facilities projects.
6. Assist recipients in completing pre-development requirements for housing, community facilities, or community and economic development projects by
providing resources for professional services, e.g., architectural, engineering, or legal.
7. Improve recipient’s organizational capacity by providing training and resource material on developing strategic plans, board operations, management, financial systems, and
8. Purchase of computers, software, and printers, limited to $10,000 per award, at the recipient level when directly related to the technical assistance program being undertaken by
9. Provide funds to recipients for training-related travel costs and training expenses related to RCDI.
Contact us for more details!